I love listening to podcasts, especially while I hike. There is something sweet about moving my body and listening to podcasts that help propel me into a creative mindset. One of my favorite podcasts is The RobCast led by Rob Bell.
On his very first podcast, he discusses the idea of Necessary Ending. And wow, did it speak to me and I thought it would speak to you as well. Here are the highlights:
- Life is short, choose very consciously how you spend your time and energy
- Put your time toward what energizes you
- There is a reason and season in all the chapters of our life–seasons have a beginning and an ending
- Our interests change over time, follow the flow of that change
- Everything changes in life–friendships, family, work, and living environment
- We are all going to die one day, befriend our relationship with death
- It’s OK to change your mind
- It’s OK to disappoint people in service of your higher calling
Change happens on a regular basis in life. I think we have a choice to embrace the change and feel more ease and grace. Or we can resist the change and feel more contracted and frustrated. Knowing how to trust our inner wisdom and intuition is an art form. It truly takes connecting deeply with ourselves. We can track what gives us energy and do more of that, versus what drains us or feels more like an obligation and then choose to let it go.
Here are some questions to help you start moving toward making some necessary endings:
- What in your life today, feels more like an obligation than a choice?
- What are you not doing that you wish you were doing?
- Where in life are you selling yourself short?
- What truth in yourself is wanting to be told?
- What is the obstacle or thinking that is getting in the way of you letting go of that job, relationship and/or friendship?
- What step will you take today toward a necessary ending?